Photo Essay: Everglades National Park

by Kali on

One of the random decorations on my wall as a kid was a felt pennant (think sports teams) depicting the sun setting in a swamp somewhere with the words “Everglades National Park” emblazoned across the top in a truly garish clash of orange and green. I’m still not sure HOW this little momento of Southern Florida made its way to my bedroom in the opposite corner of the country, but thanks to its influence I’ve always wanted to see the real thing in person.

When we started planning our ’round the US adventure I added it to our “must explore during this trip” list, and since it’s one of the largest and most well-known national parks in the United States Christy readily agreed.

Where other parts of the country have hills and canyons and other geological features, Florida doesn’t have much to offer in terms of elevation change. Before human intervention in the area, the southern third of the state was essentially a sheet of fresh water slowing meandering South from Lake Okeechobee (which is just really fun to say) down to the ocean. Efforts to drain portions of the marshland increased in the late nineteenth century as more and more people moved to the area, and tensions between human development and restoration efforts remain a very politically charged issue in the area.

Airboat Tour at Gator Park

A number of companies offer airboat rides in the Everglades, so we chose one for its auspicious name (Gator Park) and the fact that it offered RV camping. This seemed a brilliant plan at the time, so we made a week-long reservation in advance. On arrival, however, we realized we’d be living sandwiched between the park’s own personal alligator pond and wild swampland… with nothing but a worn-looking fence on one side and, well, nothing on the other separating the monster-sized gators from Koa, who apparently looked like a tasty morsel. Luckily Koa ended up surviving the experience, though, so no harm done.

The airboat ride itself was, aside from the noise, surprisingly fun; airboats can cruise through the marshy grass and skim mudpits with scant inches of water without any problems. They’re driven by a large airplane propeller in the back of the boat, which means they have no reverse or braking mechanism (a little disconcerting) and they slip sideways in wide turns.

Our tickets also got us into a post-boatride alligator wrestling demonstration, which was pretty impressive. The gist of what we were taught is to get behind your gator and jump on its back, pin the jaws closed, take a quick picture, then cover its eyes, which apparently relaxes them somewhat and theoretically gives you a chance to get away from the now-angry alligator without loss of limb.

Supposedly.

It worked for the park guide, but since we haven’t felt any desire to try it on a wild gator we can’t speak to it’s effectiveness outside the show ring.

Gator Park was a really cool experience overall, and definitely exposed us to some things we’d never seen before. The whole place was also sort of unnerving, though; they had a small restaurant where they served fried gator, and a gift shop full of things made out of gator skin (including little alligator-foot pouches). It was sad to realize that the alligators kept on the parks’ premises were fated for a life of uncomfortable demonstrations followed by a grisly postmortem transformation into food or kitschy souvenirs. Bleck.

Rowdy Bend Snake Bite Trail

There are also a ton of hiking and biking trails throughout the Everglades (and all of them are flat!), and we chose to explore the Rowdy Bend Snake Bite Trail primarily primarily due to its cool name and convenient location. The trail turned out to be a raised dirt path winding it’s way through a boggy area surrounded on both sides by brackish, richly brown water. With the dappled shade from the tree canopy arching overhead it was a very nice ride, but we were surprised by how little wildlife we encountered.

I’d say the best part of the trail is that it leads to the Atlantic Ocean, where you can see the “sheet of fresh water” from the ‘glades spilling out onto the salt flats. It was quite unlike the other parts of the Everglades we visited, and could be worth exploring for this fact alone if you have a number of days in the area, but for a short trip I wouldn’t put it down as a high priority.

Anhinga Trail

If you visit the Miami area for a short time and can only see one thing in the Everglades, though, you should absolutely make it the Anhinga Trail. It’s near the Royal Palm Visitor Center (close to Homestead) and is an undemanding 45-minute walk on a paved trail and boardwalk that stretches out over the water. And it has wildlife.

We saw dozens of alligators, birds, fish, frogs, and even turtles. The alligators come right up to the trail; when we first got there Christy sat on a low stone wall by the restrooms and looked over her shoulder to discover a huge gator lounging about ten feet away. Umm… hello there, chap. I’m going to slowly back away now… and then pull out my camera!

We were lucky to visit in the winter months, when the alligators are apparently more active and congregate heavily in this area. We saw a new gator literally every 50 feet or so throughout our walk, but one overlook in particular harbored a view of fifteen or so alligators crawling over one another and lounging in the (presumably) warm muddy water.

After staring in awe for a while I noticed a pencil floating among the gators, then saw a muddy notebook laying undisturbed where it’d fallen under the boardwalk. Unsurprisingly the previous owner had apparently decided whatever they’d been writing was no longer that important.

The lack of huge gnashing teeth makes them fade into the background somewhat compared to the gators, but there were also lots and lots of beautiful birds.

Overall, the Anhinga Trail was exactly the Everglades experiences we’d been looking for; if you want to see swampland up close and alligators in their natural habitat, this should definitely be on your bucket list!

Melissann February 14, 2011 at

Wow, beautiful pictures! I have to say it does sound like a sad fate for the alligators in Gator Park…but you two look awesome holding the little ones. :) Happy Valentine’s Day; we miss you!

Christy February 14, 2011 at

The alligator we held felt so different from what I expected – it was quite squishy. Happy Valentine’s Day to the two of you as well! Only 33 days left… ;)

Matt | YearAroundTheWorld February 14, 2011 at

Great shots. Looks like you saw many more gators than when I was there.
Matt | YearAroundTheWorld recently posted: VIDEO- Expedition to the Moon

Kali February 14, 2011 at

Yeah, apparently we got really lucky timing-wise. We just walked to the edge of this overlook, and were stunned at how much gator-life there was just a few feet below us. :)

Pedro February 14, 2011 at

Very cool! That Anhinga Trail looks awesome. And YIKES, a gator 10ft away! Some awesome photos of them, especially the one of the gator staring right at ya. It looks like he is eyeing up dinner.

I agree with your note above about how they exploit the gators for the kitschy souvenirs in the park, not very cool. I remember seeing something similar when we were in FLA and feeling the same way.
Pedro recently posted: Steel Drummin’

Christy February 14, 2011 at

Haha, I was a little worried, cuz it looked like I might be dinner! :P

Christy @ Ordinary Traveler February 14, 2011 at

Great photos! I have never been here, but I did go on a swamp tour in New Orleans where we saw gators. Pretty cool and creepy!
Christy @ Ordinary Traveler recently posted: Alis Surf Camp Review – Dominican Republic

Kali February 14, 2011 at

Uh-oh, we’re heading to New Orleans in a few weeks, and I thought we’d finally made it out of gator-land. We’ll have to keep a close eye on Koa while we’re there!

Bean February 16, 2011 at

Wait, what?! Are you going for Mardi Gras? e must talk if so! I have several friends there. Wish i could join, last year was amazing!
Bean recently posted: Free Stuff!

Kali February 16, 2011 at

Nope, no Mardi Gras. :( We were actually planning to originally, but the RV parks practically quadruple their nightly rates for that week and it was just too obscenely expensive. We also don’t really like crowds and were worried that it would be too hard to see New Orleans the way we want to w/ so many people around, so we finally decided to go earlier. We’ll be there for a week right before, though… do your friends live there, or will they just be visiting for MG?

Dave and Deb February 15, 2011 at

Great photostory guys! I especially love the one of the baby gator looking right into the camera. My parents spend their winters in Florida and we have never been on an airboat tour. Next time I visit them, we’re going!
Dave and Deb recently posted: Be Our Personal Travel Gnome

Christy February 15, 2011 at

The baby gators were quite adorable. And the airboat ride was surprisingly fun; you should definitely check it out when you’re next in FL! :)

Jill - Jack and Jill Travel The Worldtwitter: jacknjilltravel February 15, 2011 at

Oh no! Was it more like gator farm then (raised for that purpose) or did they just use the dead and dying ones? I don’t know why I’m focusing on that aspect of the trip… but I’m really curious. Great pictures though and Evergaldes National Park has always been on my must-visit list too.
Jill – Jack and Jill Travel The World recently posted: The Lapel Pins On My Wall

Christy February 16, 2011 at

You know, I’m not really sure! I think they bred them in captivity; we saw a number of smaller gators in fenced-in areas. I bet they need a pretty steady supply for their restaurant – a lot of folks were ordering the fried gator and frog legs.

Camels & Chocolatetwitter: LunaticAtLarge February 17, 2011 at

Wow, these shots are amazing. I’m so ashamed that, having grown up in the South and spending every summer in Florida, I’ve still never been to the Everglades (or the Keys)! One day…
Camels & Chocolate recently posted: The Garden Route- The Monkey Who Ate Our Lunch

Christy February 17, 2011 at

It happens… we lived in CA for years (San Diego and San Francisco) and never made it to Big Bear, Joshua Tree, the Redwoods….. there are just so many cool places to see and so little time!

Jeremy February 18, 2011 at

Amazing photos! I am really wanting to get down there and see this place now. I’m hoping my friend has a good time when she goes! Thanks for the recommendation on the post.
Jeremy recently posted: Traveler Spotlight – Over Yonderlust Pre-Trip Discussion

Christy February 18, 2011 at

Awesome, I’m glad it was helpful! :)

Randy@ Everglades airboat tours February 27, 2012 at

Wow, Amazing photos I have to say nice pics of alligators …but you both look awesome holding the little ones.

Christy February 27, 2012 at