The Sea Spirit House in Yachats, OR

When you’re perpetually nomadic, you’re bound to occasionally find yourself in less-than-ideal accommodations — the hostel with obnoxious 4am partiers, the hotel with rude staff, the landlady with ridiculous requirements… even the freezing cold floor of a train station!

The Sea Spirit House Bed and Breakfast in Yachats, OR

But then you find that gem of a place — the one fabulous location you love so much that you can’t bear to leave — and the rest of the stresses melt away.

For us, that happened at the Sea Spirit House Bed and Breakfast in Yachats, OR.

We don’t often stay at B&Bs (in fact, in the past year we haven’t really stayed anywhere other than our motorhome), but after deciding on a change of pace for our recent birthday-trip to the Oregon Coast we ended up spending two peaceful nights at the Sea Spirit House B&B.

The Sea Spirit House Bed and Breakfast

We were looking forward to our stay, but we weren’t prepared for just how enamored of the place we would become… just thirty minutes after our arrival Kali and I were already discussing the possibility of permanently living in (and running) our own small bed and breakfast on the coast!

The Sea Spirit House is a large, three-story Bed & Breakfast on the Oregon Coast; nestled between Highway 1 and the Pacific Ocean just a few miles north of Yachats, the location makes it a perfect basecamp for exploring Cape Perpetua and the central Oregon Coast).

The entire house is beautifully decorated, with high ceilings and skylights giving each room an open, airy feeling, and as soon as we stepped in the front door we could feel ourselves relaxing.

Our lovely host Dianne immediately made us feel at home, and after a short tour we retired to the third floor — an open loft with comfortable couches, board games, and stunning ocean views. It was such a peaceful room that we expected to spend a significant portion of our time reading and relaxing up there, but it turns out that each guest room has it’s own huge bay windows overlooking the ocean.

The Oceanus Room at the Sea Spirit House

It’s not often that we travel somewhere and just stay curled up in our room, but with the lush feather bed, jacuzzi tub, huge windows, and stunning beach views, it was hard to convince ourselves to leave!

Sea Spirit House Bed and Breakfast

If you’ve seen our posts on Creole cuisine in NOLA or Central American cuisine in Miami, you know that we LOVE tasty fresh food, so we were particularly looking forward to the second B in the B&B experience.

We certainly weren’t disappointed! Dianne began the three-course meal with a plate of fresh fruit, drizzled with lavender-infused honey and a light dusting of powdered cocoa.

A gorgeously-presented smoothie (topped with sprinkled nutmeg and a mint garnish) followed, and the main course came last – one morning it was Eggs Benedict (with some clever twists) and the other a sweet pastry dish that I sadly didn’t catch the name of, but nevertheless quickly and enthusiastically demolished.

Sea Spirit House in Yachats, OR Sea Spirit House in Yachats, OR

Not only was the food perfectly prepared and presented, but we ate it while watching a variety of birds flit around the well-stocked bird-feeder located just outside the window, and then used the conveniently placed bird-watching book and binoculars to try to identify them.

It’s all in the details.

Sea Spirit House Bed and Breakfast

The Sea Spirit House is undeniable gorgeous, and the food was delicious, but it was the overall feeling of the place that made the biggest impact on our vacation.

The Sea Spirit House

This might qualify us as The Most Awful Travelers Ever, but Kali and I often have difficulties detaching ourselves from our work obligations long enough to actually enjoy the beautiful surroundings we frequently find ourselves in.

For a few days we found that inner calm at the Sea Spirit House, though, and it made us realize just how important that peace can be when you’re traveling full-time.

We had an amazing weekend at The Sea Spirit House, and we’ve decided that — in between the hostels and housesitting gigs and trains — we’re going to seek out places like this to just be still.

Of course, those future B&Bs have their work cut out for them — The Sea Spirit House has set our expectations remarkably high!
Sea Spirit House B&B in Yachats on the Oregon Coast

The beautiful view of the beach from our room.

Full Disclosure: The Sea Spirit House offered us free accommodations in exchange for an honest review. However, all thoughts and opinions are entirely our own.

Scott - Quirky Travel Guytwitter: quirkytravelguy June 7, 2011 at

I’ve never stayed at a B&B either but it seems like a good option when you’re on a really relaxing vacation.
Scott – Quirky Travel Guy recently posted: 9 Things You Didn’t Know About Yellowstone National Park

Christy June 7, 2011 at

We haven’t stayed at many B&Bs either, but they’re just so much cozier than hotels. :)

Jan Ross June 7, 2011 at

We have stayed in a couple of lovely B & B’s, but generally have found that we prefer the privacy and convenience of a hotel. However, that place does look wonderful!!
Jan Ross recently posted: A Travel Writer’s Quandary

Christy June 7, 2011 at

I’ve never really thought about the privacy issue – that’s really interesting. As long as I have a bedroom door I can close to block everyone else out, I’m happy! :P

Debbie Beardsley @ European Travelistatwitter: eurotravelista June 7, 2011 at

Wow, this place looks heavenly! OMG those eggs benedict. . . I’m starving now and craving Bene’s! Thanks for sharing just might have to make it up there one of these days.

Hooray for your first sponsored trip! Thats cool :)
Debbie Beardsley @ European Travelista recently posted: A Budapest Wine Adventure

Christy June 7, 2011 at

I am such a sucker for eggs benedict; I think it’s one of my favorite breakfast dishes! I would have licked my plate if it wasn’t so obnoxious, lol.

Sophie's Worldtwitter: SophieR June 7, 2011 at

I’m usually a bit apprehensive about B&Bs – have had a few too many overly chatty hosts – hard to get away, so I tend to prefer hotels. However this one looks absolutely wonderful – the name, the view, the breakfast…

Christy June 7, 2011 at

Yeah, I understand how that goes – sometimes B&Bs can miss the mark. The only ones we’ve stayed in (other than the Sea Spirit) have been on the east coast, and they all had a very old-fashioned aesthetic. I’m not a fan of flowered wallpaper and over-stuffed antique furniture, so they weren’t exactly my cup of tea, lol. I guess it’s just about finding the right ones. :)

Rease June 7, 2011 at

That food looks AMAZING
Rease recently posted: ‘We need to evacuate you from your house’

Christy June 7, 2011 at

It tasted amazing too!

Jadetwitter: vagabond3live June 7, 2011 at

That last photo is what I love most about B&B’s… gorgeous views and usually not too many people around- it looks like you guys were the only ones there! Congrats on the sponsored room too!
Jade recently posted: Animals we met in Mexico

Christy June 7, 2011 at

Thanks, Jade! The Sea Spirit House is fairly small, so on the first night we were the only guests there. But even just the beach out front was pretty empty, as most of the houses in the area were also on the smaller side (no big resorts or anything). The relative solitude was remarkably refreshing. :)

Matt Hopetwitter: matt.hopelive.com June 7, 2011 at

Ah gotta love when you find the perfect place. It is always hard to leave when you do!
Matt Hope recently posted: Top Ten Tuesdays – Things to Do in Slovenia

Christy June 7, 2011 at

So true! I wish we could have stayed weeks there.

Eileen Ludwigtwitter: eileenludwig June 7, 2011 at

Terrific overview of a wonderful place. Love the pictures and words you use to describe your experience. It is funny when you are in a lovely place you don’t want to go out but it actually boost your spirit to want to go out.

Eileen
Eileen Ludwig recently posted: Join Forum participate connect communicate

Christy June 7, 2011 at

Thank you so much, Eileen. We really were enamored with the Sea Spirit House and just wanted to spend our whole visit there. :)

Triciatwitter: geekyexplorers June 7, 2011 at

We have stayed at B & B’s quite often over the years – while that will change when we move into the RV, what we liked about (most) B & B’s was some local advice & flavor. Plus the chance to stay in a historic homes! :) Glad you enjoyed!
Tricia recently posted: Weekend in New England

Christy June 7, 2011 at

It’s always nice having someone who can give you the insider scoop on a location. ;)

adventureswithben June 7, 2011 at

I love the view of the beach.

Christy June 7, 2011 at

I think that’s what I miss the most. The view + the sound of the waves + the salty smell = perfection.

The Travel Chicatwitter: thetravelchica June 7, 2011 at

Between the perfect eggs benedict and that beach view, I say you found the perfect bed and breakfast.
The Travel Chica recently posted: Learning to Cook in Buenos Aires

Christy June 8, 2011 at

Agreed! :)

davidtwitter: imheadingout June 7, 2011 at

I’ve always avoided B&B’s when I’ve traveled, but I think I’d consider this one. That beach view is pretty amazing. By the way, which one of you is the photographer? Nice photo!
david recently posted: Help Me Plan My Road Trip pt3

Christy June 8, 2011 at

Thanks! Kali and I switch off the camera quite frequently, so it’s always hard to tell who took which shot. I’ll totally claim it, though. ;)

Zablon Mukuba June 8, 2011 at

This place is really beautiful, everything about it is marvelous
Zablon Mukuba recently posted: Volunteer abroad work permit in Kenya

Christy June 8, 2011 at

Thanks for your comment, Zablon. We really did have a wonderful experience there. :)

Jeremy Branhamtwitter: budgettravelsac June 8, 2011 at

Love B&Bs! Don’t do them very often but they can be so peaceful and relaxing. I am sure one on the Oregon coast is awesome! However, running one may not be so peaceful! :)
Jeremy Branham recently posted: Vancouver- TBEX- travel blogging- and my first modeling gig

Christy June 8, 2011 at

Haha, you make a good point. It would be a ton of work to run one…. but maybe worth it to live there permanently? :)

robin June 8, 2011 at

What a view! B&B’s are a preferred option for us – we love them :)
robin recently posted: Playa

Christy June 8, 2011 at

They’ve quickly become our favorite as well!

David & Dianne Inn Keepers at Sea Spirit June 8, 2011 at

Thank you so very much Christy for the wonderful article. It was our pleasure having you and Kali at Sea Spirit House. And a big invite goes out to everyone who reads this post…just call us and mention “technosyncratic” or “Christy & Kali” so we can give you a discount off your stay with us at Sea Spirit House….we would love to have you all as our pampered guest. Oh yes, we pretty much leave our guest to enjoy all there is to experience at and around SSH…we’ll talk if you want to talk, but generally we know you are there for the experience of getting away and rejuvenate the soul. We believe our little B&B provides that opportunity.

Christy June 8, 2011 at

Thank you again – you two were wonderful hosts! We had such a peaceful stay, and a large part of that was due to your success in creating such a perfect space for relaxation. It was exactly how I wanted to spend my 26th birthday. :)

Andrea June 8, 2011 at

That last photo is incredible! What a quaint place…great food really makes it. Glad you had such a great time =)
Andrea recently posted: Did We Mention We Were On a Tour

Nina June 8, 2011 at

Looks like our kinda spot! Great shots, by the way!! Nina
Nina recently posted: Is Boondocking Always Cheaper

Christy June 9, 2011 at

Thanks, Nina. :)

Sheryll June 15, 2011 at

I’ve always wanted to say at a B&B! I’ve always been attracted to the quaintness, the charm. Everything about your experience seems absolutely wonderful, and reminds me that sometimes I do need to unplug sometimes and really take in my surroundings.
Sheryll recently posted: Start a Revolution

Christy June 16, 2011 at

I like the way you put it – B&Bs are just so quaint and charming. For me that’s a large part of their draw, and maybe also why it’s easier to unplug?

Lisa June 19, 2011 at

The view from your room is stunning! I want to go! :-)
Lisa recently posted: Taking The Plunge to Travel

Christy June 20, 2011 at

There were so many great things about the Sea Spirit House, but I’ve got to say that the view was maybe the best!

Camels & Chocolatetwitter: LunaticAtLarge June 21, 2011 at

That last picture is pretty much my idea of heaven. Only with an on-call house boy bringing me chocolate-covered strawberries and champagne on a silver tray, of course.
Camels & Chocolate recently posted: Reaching Yellowstone- It’s a Marathon- Not a Sprint

Christy June 21, 2011 at

LOL. I’d like to order one of those, please! ;)