Photo Essay: London

We were lucky enough to spend the entire month of August housesitting in London, where we fell head-over-heels in love with the city almost immediately.

We thought we’d have plenty of time to see the sites, eat some (perhaps awful, given everything we’d heard) British food, and visit a pub or two, but it turns out there’s so much going on that it can’t really be packed into a single month’s worth of experiences. We’ll definitely be back… perhaps even as residents!

These photos of London can’t even begin to capture how dynamic, vibrant, and diverse London truly is, but at least they’ll provide a taste of the highlights!

Photos of London; London Eye

The London Eye is the tallest Ferris wheel in Europe, and the most popular paid tourist attraction in the U.K.

Photos of London; The Gherkin in London

30 St Mary Axe (locally known as The Gherkin) viewed from the River Thames.

Photos of London; Kensington Palace Gardens in London

The gardens outside the über strange Kensington Palace.

Photos of London; The Tower Bridge in London

View of the Tower Bridge from the south bank of the River Thames.

Photos of London; The Tower Bridge in London

View of the Tower Bridge from the south bank of the River Thames.

Photos of London; Big Ben and the Palace of Westminster

The Palace of Westminster (a.k.a. the Houses of Parliament) and the Clock Tower (a.k.a. Big Ben).

Photos of London; Houseboats on the Regent's Canal in London

Canal houseboats moored on the Regent's Canal, which snakes through central London.

Photos of London; Covent Garden street performer in London

Street performer juggling knives and an apple - while standing on a bike atop a pole! - in Covent Garden.

Photos of London; Tower of London

View of the infamous Tower of London (and entrance to the Traitor's Gate) seen from the River Thames.

Photos of London; Gherkin and the Tower of London

The old and the new! London's Gherkin behind the Tower of London.

Photos of London; Camden Lock in London

A houseboat making its way through the Camden Lock (located on the Regent's Canal).

Photos of London; St. Paul's Cathedral in London

View of St. Paul's Cathedral from the Tate Modern Museum

Photos of London; Hyde Park in London

Boating on the Serpentine Lake in Hyde Park.

Photos of London; The Shard in London

Once completed (est. 2012), The Shard skyscraper will be the tallest building in the European Union.

If you have any favorite photos of your own from London,
post links in the comments section so we can all enjoy!

Faithtwitter: faithmckay September 7, 2011 at

So pretty! So bright! Such great shots :) I’m still really in love with the Gherkin. I love watching street performers!
Faith recently posted: Flowers in the Desert

Christy September 7, 2011 at

Covent Garden had the most intense street performers!! In other areas we saw the typical buskers, but in Covent Garden there was a twenty-minute long magic show, a mime, two guys doing bike tricks, and the acrobat we saw who – in addition to the stunt pictured here – also juggled a chainsaw and machete!

Shirlene from Idelishtwitter: idelishTravel September 7, 2011 at

Beautiful photos. You did a great job capturing the sights through your camera! Love it!
Shirlene from Idelish recently posted: {Japan} Noboribetsu Jigokudani aka “Hell Valley”

Christy September 7, 2011 at

Thanks, Shirlene!

Christinatwitter: christinahegele September 7, 2011 at

Ah, I love your photos! Too bad you only had a month here. So much more to see and do, but I’m glad you got to see quite a bit anyway. Look forward to seeing you guys again in London, hopefully in the not too distant future!
Christina recently posted: An island paradise in Switzerland: Brissago Islands, Lago Maggiore

Christy September 7, 2011 at

I completely agree – a month isn’t nearly enough! Thankfully we’ll hopefully be heading back to London (or at least the English countryside) again sometime soon, so we’ll have to arrange another pub outing when that happens. =)

Dalene September 7, 2011 at

Cool pics! And thanks for getting there before us, and laying out all our plans for when we get there… :)
Dalene recently posted: The “P” Word

Christy September 7, 2011 at

We did what we could. ;) We should become travel agents!

Renee September 7, 2011 at

Christy,

Great pics!! I am really looking forward to visiting London these days…..for some reason, it had no appeal to me until recently. I plan to visit the Cotswolds too. Thanks for whetting my appetite!
Renee recently posted: My Jackson Hole, WY Trip Report

Christy September 7, 2011 at

This past weekend we took a two-day tour of the Cotswolds (plus Bath and Stonehenge) and we absolutely fell in love! I wasn’t sure what we’d feel about London, either, but it’s just one of those cities we’ve connected with. Hopefully you feel the same when you visit. :)

Scott - Quirky Travel Guytwitter: quirkytravelguy September 7, 2011 at

It’s such a beautiful city… that ferris wheel is kinda weird though. I usually only see those in amusement parks!
Scott – Quirky Travel Guy recently posted: The story of my travel van getting set on fire and blown up

Christy September 7, 2011 at

Isn’t it bizarre? It’s one of the few things we didn’t do in London that seemed to be really popular. But it was just so darn expensive and from what we heard the long lines were awful. I imagine the views from the top would be cool, but I was okay skipping it.

Cathy Sweeneytwitter: TravelingWithS September 7, 2011 at

I’m longing to get back to London after seeing your photos. You captured many of my favorite scenes, but especially love St. Paul’s Cathedral from the Tate Modern.
Cathy Sweeney recently posted: From Humble to Hearst

Christy September 7, 2011 at

St. Paul’s Cathedral is beautiful, and we were surprised that we could see it from so many different angles! My favorite was from Tate Modern as well, though. :)

Jessica September 7, 2011 at

I’m glad you two fell in love with the city. I become a resident of London next Wednesday! Send me your recommendations for restaurants :-)
Jessica recently posted: Learning a New Language: Accents

Christy September 8, 2011 at

Yay! When does your program begin? To be honest, we didn’t discover a whole lot in the way of food. We took a bunch of your suggestions, of course (Little Bay was delicious, and so was Food for Thought!), and ate at Brick Lane quite a few times. We had some awful food twice, but the best food we ate there was at Aladdin. Otherwise we ate at a bunch of okay places that were conveniently located to where we were for the day… but nothing really great enough to recommend.

Jessica September 8, 2011 at

International student orientation begins Wednesday when I arrive and lasts a few days. Next Saturday the international students are invited to be a part of a London photo frenzy (whatever that means). I’m game for adventure! It’s strange to be an international student though. The academic part of my program doesn’t begin until first week of October, so plenty of time to adjust to London life. I’ll definitely check out Aladdin — the one on Brick Lane? Google search brings up more than on Aladdin restaurant in London. So glad you liked Little Bay and Food for Thought!

Christy September 8, 2011 at

Ooh, a photo frenzy sounds exciting. :P There’s a decent chance we’ll be back in London sometime (there are a ton of housesitting gigs around there, and we want to explore the Cotswolds a lot more) so hopefully we can finally hang out again soon! And yup, we went to the Aladdin on Brick Lane – the chicken tikka masala was divine.

Christy @ Ordinary Traveler September 7, 2011 at

Beautiful photos! That Tower Bridge is gorgeous. It looks like a castle.
Christy @ Ordinary Traveler recently posted: The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone

Christy September 8, 2011 at

I loved the Tower Bridge – we took so many photos of it! I was going to post a photo essay on just the bridge, but haven’t gotten around to it. It’s amazing how different it looks in different weather and from different angles. Or maybe I’m just obsessed. =P

Marktwitter: markschulz September 7, 2011 at

beautiful set of shots! Glad you guys enjoyed it and looking forward to whatever is next =)
Mark recently posted: firedog

Christy September 8, 2011 at

Ooooh, yes. We got some beautiful photos from the two-day tour we took to the Cotswolds (plus Bath and Stonehenge) and we’re currently in Malta. I’m a little less enamored with Malta than I anticipated, but I think a large part of that is the awful apartment we found on Airbnb that we’re currently stuck at. I obviously didn’t think it would be awful at the time… but on arrival we discovered that everything was dirty, smelled moldy, and was falling to pieces. Le sigh.

Sailortwitter: CruisePictures September 7, 2011 at

Nice to see all your London travel pictures in one place. Really beautiful!
Sailor recently posted: One Night Getaways – Short Cruises in the U.S. Northwest

Christy September 8, 2011 at

Thanks, I’m glad you enjoyed them!

Amy (Gloriously Dismal)twitter: alschiele September 7, 2011 at

This will be my third year in London and I actually LOVE the food… but maybe I’m just crazy! Meat, potatoes, and yorkshire pudding, what’s not to love?!
Amy (Gloriously Dismal) recently posted: IBAN with a Side of Irritation

Christy September 8, 2011 at

We actually enjoyed the food more than everyone suggested we would, Amy! I wasn’t entirely sold on yorkshire pudding (it’s not pudding!!), but the meat pies and cornish pasties won me over. ;)

Artitwitter: artisdiary September 8, 2011 at

Wow! Just an amazing set of pics, pretty speechless really!!
The London eye and the bridge over Thames are just awesome, but really all pics are fabulous…
Have a wonderful day:)
Arti recently posted: Festive colors of Ganesh Chaturthi – Ganpati Pandals, Mumbai

Christy September 8, 2011 at

Aww, thanks Arti. :) I know a lot of people think the London Eye is an eyesore (heh), but I think it’s sort of neat looking.

Artitwitter: artisdiary September 11, 2011 at

Might be an eyesore for some, but I find it delightful!!
Arti recently posted: Lalbaugcha Raja and Ganesh Galli Ganpati Pandals

Angelatwitter: angelacorrias September 8, 2011 at

Great photo essay, how many memories of the two years I spent in London!
Angela recently posted: In India, country full of contrasts

Christy September 8, 2011 at

Two years in London would be awesome! We had thirty days and I feel like we barely scratched the surface. :)

Michael Figueiredotwitter: struxtravel September 8, 2011 at

Wow! These are all such beautiful, postcard-quality shots! If London weren’t so expensive I’d go there sometime soon!
Michael Figueiredo recently posted: Greetings From… Grand Canyon National Park

Christy September 9, 2011 at

It really is expensive, but we found it was due more to the exchange rate than anything else (well, okay, some things are still expensive even without the exchange rate, but that was the killer). We wouldn’t have spent so much time there if we hadn’t had the housesitting gig, which really helped keep our costs down.

adventureswithben September 8, 2011 at

I always get torn with the London Eye. It’s so modern in such an old city.
adventureswithben recently posted: Drinking a Real, Mummified, Human Toe: The Sour Toe Cocktail

Christy September 9, 2011 at

We had the same reaction with the Gherkin juxtaposed against the Tower of London. The really really old and the sleek modern – such an interesting contrast to one another!

Barbara - The Dropout Diaries September 8, 2011 at

Wow, even the water is green in England!
Did you swim in the Serpentine? I’ve wanted to do that ever since reading Vikram Seth’s An Equal Music. I would love a month to explore London. I spent four days there a few years ago and hardly scratched the surface — and having terrible jetlag didn’t help.
Barbara – The Dropout Diaries recently posted: Meet The Dropouts – Food Writer Robyn Eckhardt

Christy September 9, 2011 at

Yeah, it took us the first couple days to deal with jetlag; I couldn’t imagine only having those few days to explore the city. And no swimming in the Serpentine for us – it was too cold!! Don’t let the sun and boaters fool you.

Stevetwitter: vangrizz September 9, 2011 at

Did you smuggle Chairman Mao out with you? The pictures are beautiful, as usual.
I love that they have a building named after a pickle! Looking forward to the Malta adventures.
Steve recently posted: Camping at the San Diego Zoo

Christy September 9, 2011 at

We certainly tried, but Chairman wasn’t having any of that. And he tends to get his way. ;)

Sherry September 9, 2011 at

I’ve always wanted to visit London. But alas, I was only able to visit for a day here and a day there as stop overs. My visits have usually revolved around eating somewhere (the food was not bad – its a great mix from different cultures). Perhaps soon I’ll be able to go for more than a day and see these intriguing places in your beautiful photos.
Sherry recently posted: TRAVEL PHOTO: “The Rise of China’s Largest City”

Christy September 11, 2011 at

We had so much fun trying all the different food. Some of it was a little heavy, but spread over a longer period of time it wasn’t too bad. =)

RON | Fliptravels.com September 9, 2011 at

by merely looking at your photos.. i already fell head-over-heels in love with this city. what more when you are actually there! thanks for the vibrant tour!
RON | Fliptravels.com recently posted: serendipity

Christy September 11, 2011 at

Thanks so much, Ron! I’m glad you enjoyed them and now love the city like we do. =)

Ayngelina September 9, 2011 at

Nice work guys, reminds me I should have taken more photos when I was there!
Ayngelina recently posted: Why I want a Hindu wedding

Christy September 11, 2011 at

Some days we didn’t even go out with our camera, but other days the weather was just so brilliant that we took a ton of photos! Photography has become my new favorite hobby and I’ve been trying to learn as much as I can online, so it’s been nice to have such a beautiful city to practice on.

Caanan @ No Vacation Requiredtwitter: NVRguys September 9, 2011 at

We’re with Michael, if London wasn’t so damn expensive, we would definitely make a stop. In the meantime, we have your photos and your stories. :)
Caanan @ No Vacation Required recently posted: Postcard from Alaska – Hitting the Rails

Christy September 11, 2011 at

If we could somehow make London more affordable, it would be the perfect city! Okay, maybe not, but it would help. :P

Tricia(Geeky Explorers)twitter: geekyexplorers September 10, 2011 at

Love the shots! I just recently found my pics of London when we were there in 2000. Sadly pre-digital. Guess that means we’ll need to go back & revisit! :) Glad you enjoyed your stay there – did you end up liking the whole house sitting arrangement?
Tricia(Geeky Explorers) recently posted: What I can’t throw away…

Christy September 11, 2011 at

We LOVED housesitting – the folks were awesome, the house was cozy, and Chairman Miaow was such a great companion. I actually just booked our second housesit for a place in Brunswick, Germany at the end of September – the first time around went so well that we couldn’t wait to do it again!

Tricia(Geeky Explorers)twitter: geekyexplorers September 11, 2011 at

So cool – glad to hear it worked out. When we are furry kid-less, we are thinking that would be a good idea (if of course, we decide not to do the crazy boat thing, after the crazy RV thing).
Tricia(Geeky Explorers) recently posted: What I can’t throw away…

Stephanie - The Travel Chicatwitter: thetravelchica September 10, 2011 at

Great photos! Brings back a lot of good memories. I agree that London is a place you need a lot of time to explore.
Stephanie – The Travel Chica recently posted: How Travel Has Taught Me to See Beauty

Christy September 11, 2011 at

It’s funny how some places are like that – in a few cities we felt like we had seen all we wanted to in a few days, but other places we wanted months.

jenjenktwitter: jenjenk September 11, 2011 at

i can’t believe how much of London I’ve missed the times I’ve gone! I guess i need to stay longer than 2 -3 days at a time!
jenjenk recently posted: Photo Friday: 10 Years Post 9/11

Andrea September 12, 2011 at

Wow – gorgeous shots you guys!! It was so awesome to meet you – wish we’d had more time to spend in London…
Andrea recently posted: Bozcaada: Turkey’s Island of Wine

Christy September 12, 2011 at

It was so great meeting you two as well! I’m glad our pub date worked out, and hopefully we’ll cross paths again in the future. =)

Nomadic Samuel September 14, 2011 at

You really captured London well in this photo essay – my favourite shots are of the boats on Serpentine lake :)
Nomadic Samuel recently posted: Working Overseas | Interview with Wandering Earl

Christy September 15, 2011 at

Thanks, Samuel! I love that shot as well… but mostly because it reminds me of such a fun day at Hyde Park. :)

InsideJourneystwitter: InsideJourneys September 19, 2011 at

Love your photos!
I took some of the same shots when I was there in April.
Thanks for the memories.
InsideJourneys recently posted: 12 Must See New York City Buildings

Christy September 20, 2011 at

Thanks, and glad we could help! ;)

Micamyx|Senyorita October 3, 2011 at

I miss London. Might go back this coming Christmas! :D
Micamyx|Senyorita recently posted: Paraiso Verde Resort and Waterpark – Just Go with the Flow!

Christy October 5, 2011 at

Lucky!! I imagine Christmas in London would be fabulous. :)